Squirt Plans

Squirt Plans

Monday, June 27, 2011

Control Box and Fairing

It's been a while since I have had any updates and I can now see why it takes some people a few years for some of the projects; anytime I had a full day planned of work, an event would pop up. I have still been making steady progress though which has mostly consisted of sanding and making everything true and flat. This is a process called fairing and at first it was a little intimidating because of all the work I had read that goes into it but after finding the right tools and having some practice it made more sense. The best way I found to do it is using a leveler as a flat edge. It's hard to take pictures of this because your only removing small amounts of wood but I'll take more pictures after the fairing process is complete.

Fairing Chine

I have also been looking for a control box and found one for a decent price with working cables. I'm not sure what year it is but it's and Evinrude brand so it will go with the motor nicely after a new paint job. Concerning the outboard, I bought the gas tank on Craigslist from a nice guy who restored outboards and after telling him my motor's year and horsepower and the need for a 2-line pressurized tank, he said the motor actually used a single hose gas tank; which I ended up purchasing from him taking his word. Well when I arrived home I checked the fittings and they did not match. I called the guy and he said that most people changed to the single hose. He was nice about it though and we are going to do an exchange for some cleats and other hardware.
Evinrude Control Box

No comments:

Post a Comment