Squirt Plans

Squirt Plans

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

2nd Sheer Screwed and Epoxied

I epoxied the last sheer laminations today, though I'm still behind the schedule I had planned out in my head. The lamination process was pretty easy because I pre-drilled all the screw holes and did any work I could before I started to mix the epoxy. I made a big batch of it since I wanted to do both laminations at the same time and still have enough to coat the inner sides of the sheers. I would recommend doing this with at one other person though. I was hurrying because I didn't want the epoxy to set and it would have been easier if someone was there to hold the sheer in place while I added to screws. The pictures below show the 2nd lamination and you can see the two by the difference in wood color (both are still African mahogany).

2nd Sheer Lamination Epoxied, Looking Towards Transom

 Sheers in Frames 1 and 2

On another note, I finally purchased an outboard; a 1957 Evinrude 18hp. I was originally looking for a 1950's 25hp so I could get the older style but still with speed. When I went to look at a 1957 Johnson 25hp I  quickly realized that was not going to work; the motor was HUGE! Then I decided on a newer 25hp but after I found this one on eBay I fell in love with it. I'm not worried about speed anymore because I'll still go plenty fast with the 18hp and it'll fit the boat better. I'm going to do the hull of the boat from the chine up a light blue to match the outboard and then leave it white below the chine (I'm thinking of making the transom completely blue but I might still change that). My uncle was nice enough to check out the motor before we bought since he lived near the seller but I'll have it at my place by Friday. I still need to find a gas tank for it but after a little research I found a lot on eBay and Craigslist. Below is a picture of it from eBay but I'l post more when it gets here.

No comments:

Post a Comment