Squirt Plans

Squirt Plans

Monday, May 23, 2011

Keel Attached

Progress continued today as I added the keel. The keel is screwed and epoxied to the frames and transom and then carriage bolts are used to connect it to the stem. The screws that were used are bronze and they aren't very strong, especially going through the mahogany, so I drilled a hole for them before screwing them in. Despite this I still had quite a few break while drilling them in which left part of the screw in the wood. I drilled a fairly decent sized whole before I attempted to drill them in and they fit well but about four of them I had to re-do. I guess this goes with the whole never-built-anything-before skill level, though for the most part things are going pretty smoothly. Next up comes the transom knee and battens.
Keel From Front 

 Keel From Rear

No comments:

Post a Comment