Squirt Plans

Squirt Plans

Sunday, May 15, 2011

July - August 2010 Building Time

I had originally started this project during early July of 2010 but with work and online classes through WMU I could only do so much in a week. Besides that I had to move back to WMU and get ready for my junior year at the end of August so these first pictures are from that first month of building. I had never cut any wood or built anything before and this was my first time using a table saw, jigsaw, circular saw, etc. I was pretty intimidated once the wood came because I wasn't sure how I was going to turn it all into a boat. Though with every cut I gained a little bit more confidence, and as the first frames were made and placed on the floor it was comforting seeing how they resembled pictures I had seen of other builds.

 Picture of the Squirt from the plans
 These are the frame pieces that mount to the transom
 This is frame #2; gussets are not yet nailed
 Transom pieces, Frame #1, Frame #2
 Epoxying the two pieces of the stem together
 Transom with framing piece epoxied on; epoxying the motor board
 This is the wood before any cuts; it's African Mahogany
 I transferred the plans to the mahogany using wax paper
 Frame #1

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting this blog of your build. I have recently been bitten by the "bug." I am planning on building a Squirt as my first build, am I am right now just gathering information, etc.
    Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! If you have any questions feel free to email me at amreame@gmail.com. This is my first build as well and has been a lot of fun. I can't wait to start another build! Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. areame, where did you get your lumber from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought my wood from Johnson Lumber in Grand Rapids, Michigan. This is their website:

      http://www.theworkbench.com/

      Delete
    2. Awesome thanks! Saves me the headache of trying to source quality lumber from places other than HD, Lowes, or Menards... And with the Jet that I plan to put in my squirt, I don't want knotty pine holding things together.

      Delete