Squirt Plans

Squirt Plans

Saturday, August 31, 2013

Plywood Decking Installed, Flipped to Paint

I was finally able to finish installing the decking after being out for most of last week with the flu. The process started by fairing the sub-decking. I wanted a rounded dashboard and a decking curve to match, so I left the dashboard slightly raised. Next I laminated any decking that was still bare. I was really surprised how much epoxy the wood soaked up, but two coats left it looking really nice and saturated. After came the installation. I did the large piece over the bow along with a small piece next to it all at once, and then did the rest of the decking during a second time. I used a combination of screws and weights to hold the decking in place while the epoxy set.

I also cut out the hatch for the gas tank. Using an utility knife I traced the hatch and cut along my lines, making passes until my knife was through. It worked pretty well and made nice straight cuts.

I flipped the boat today and have started sanding. Next I'll use a fairing compound to fill any low spots, and hope to get my garage ready to paint. There's not much room so I'll have to get creative.






No comments:

Post a Comment