Squirt Plans

Squirt Plans

Thursday, September 19, 2013

Painting On Hold

After I flipped the boat I sanded the hull one last time. I started with a pass over with 150 grit and then switched to 180, using an orbital sander. Everything was pretty smooth by the time I finished but still I wanted to take out any low spots. I used a fairing compound from West System that was easy to work with. My only problem was I didn't make enough. I ended up having to do a second batch to finish and luckily everything worked out. To spread the compound I used two 6" cheap plastic squeegees, placing one over the other to make it stiffer. I would definitely recommend spending a few extra bucks and getting a nice one.

After I had finished applying the fairing compound I ran into my problem. I'm currently using my parents garage to hold my Squirt, which is fairly small, but I was planning to make a plastic sheeting-room inside to do my painting. The problem is my dad also uses the garage to hold his wine, in which he uses a wine cabinet that has an AC unit to keep the temperature controlled. This AC unit needs to have a decent amount of free space to intake air, as well as to blow it out. Because of this my plastic-sheeting room would need one side to be clear of the AC unit which would then blow dust all over the garage. I found this out the day after I applied my fairing compound and found dirt, grass, and anything else floating around which had found its way into the wet compound.

Unfortunately this means I won't be making my September splash date but it does mean I won't have to rush to complete it anymore. I'm currently in the process of finding a different place to work on it hopefully I'll be posting soon with some good news!

EDIT: Here's my working space. The picture is before the flip but you can still get an idea. You can see the wine cabinet on the very right side of the photo.


No comments:

Post a Comment