Squirt Plans

Squirt Plans

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Topside Started

The past two weeks not much was done. I flipped it, sanded down the excess fiberglass, encapsulated from frame #1 to the transom, and dry fit some wood. The first piece instructed to go on were the coamings. The wood used for this is 1x6, I believe, and about 5' long. It also has a pretty major bend so I soaked both pieces over night and dry fit the next day. This was definitely a two man job as I was constantly taking the coamings on and off to get the perfect fit. I also cut the deck battens, though I cut one too short and will have to make another cut. The dashboard is 12'' from frame #2 and I didn't look far ahead enough to see this.

Here are a few pictures of the progress. I hope to have the topside complete and be able to move onto the actual decking by the end of the weekend. I had previously wanted to African Mahogany king planks with a lighter colored wood in between, but summer is coming to an end I want to be able to have it launched before I go back to WMU in the fall. Therefore, I will be doing the deck as just the mahogany plywood, and then over winter I will install the better looking decking. Sorry for the poor quality on the bottom picture, I took it as I was rushing out the door on the way to class. I'll have better ones up after this weekend.



No comments:

Post a Comment