Squirt Plans

Squirt Plans

Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Plywood Decking Started

Over the last few days I was able to accomplish a few things. First, I put another coat of epoxy in a few dry areas of the sub-decking and transom. I also epoxied the plywood bench to it's support beams. I originally thought it would be nice to remove the bench but I wasn't able to think of a good reason of doing so besides cleaning.

Next, I figured out the cable and pulley system and found where my pulleys should be fastened. I have only seen a few cable and pulley setups at boat shows and a few others online. It seems there are two different ways to set it up. One with the cable ends fastened to a spring and then directly to the outboard, and a second with  the cable and spring fastened to the transom and pulleys attached to the outboard. I went with the cables and springs fastened directly to the outboard because of the height with the raised transom (though this may change). After I've painted I'll post a diagram and pictures of how I did it.

The last project I started on was the 1/4" plywood decking. I had one 4' x 8' plywood board that I was hoping would cover most of the topside and I could use scrap for the rest, but it looks like I'll be purchasing another 4'x8 board. This will also make a more even and stronger finish. I left 1/4" on all sides for margin of error when I cut and it will easily sand down when I get closer to fastening it to the sub-decking. The plywood also does not fit width wise across the boat so I will use a scrap piece that will be supported by the coaming.

The pictures below show the placement of a rear pulley, the plywood decking cut, and the area where the scrap piece will fit on the coaming. As a side note, I will be placing mahogany veneer over the transom to cover up the screw holes.






No comments:

Post a Comment